You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 4 << < 1234
Author Messages
Anthony Ingersoll
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
11 Jul 2019 03:09 PM
It seems to me that many people think that they will get rich off of prospecting. That is the furthest thing from the truth. In all reality, you will put more into it than what you would get back. However, there are other benefits of prospecting in of its self. The first and foremost, you will meet other individuals who have a like minded purpose. If you join a chapter, you will make new connections and hopefully new friends along the way. It is hard to tell how much I have put into it already; but the time outdoors has always been a big bonus for me though. As I read earlier, the learning curve is going to be steep. If you want to get gold for each dollar you spend, then go and buy the nuggets and such elsewhere.
CHRISTOPHER SATKOWSKI
Panner
Panner

--
11 Jul 2019 03:33 PM
I think everyone who joins this and everyone who goes out should be doing it on a hope of making a living, but no when to draw the line and cut their losses, and move in a different direction There should be no such thing as recreational prospecting. Otherwise, the Mining Laws of 1872 just don't apply. I do think very, very few will become successful with this, nut that's fine, its like a learning thing. Use those contacts to go off to bigger and better things and grow the community. At least that's my plan.

Even the crappy claims you learn something every time you go out. Now locally, I avoid the claims that seem to have 2000 feet of alley fill before bedrock. With some of the valley fill as deep as 7000 feet to bedrock in the Phoenix valley, if the claim is located in a very flat area, miles from any peaks, that is a big signal to avoid as much as possible. Use those crappy claims as much as you can to make contacts, and hopefully someday you'll be able to get a working one. If you fail, at least tried living the dream for a while.
Anthony Ingersoll
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
11 Jul 2019 06:43 PM
You make a good point in regards to making a living. Maybe that is better suited for out west or in the New England States where the consentration of gold is much better. Ohio is known for fine gold and flour gold with the occasional pickers. The good news to that though is that where I live at, I am only 7 hours away from where I can go digging in Canada (6 hours from Niagara Falls ON). However, there are plenty of creeks and streams in the area that I live in and I have already secured permission from the land owners and the parks commission. The only catch with the parks commission is that I have to give a detailed plan on what equipment will be used, how it will be used, and the like. I was surprised that they agreed to allow me to do that honestly. With that being said, I imagine they just want the environmental impact to be minimal.
ARTHUR WAUGH
Buzzard
Buzzard

--
11 Jul 2019 07:10 PM
There are no "recreational" or "hobby miners/prospectors" We are all SMALL SCALE MINERS!!!!!!!

Use that term anytime you talk about what we do. Nothing less will suffice.
William Hall
Buzzard
Buzzard

--
11 Jul 2019 07:18 PM
Ed Tomlinson Welcome,

If you did not get to bedrock, you probably left gold behind
Dont give up, but find and get to bedrock
Thats the secret
And yes we are small scale miners .

Bill
So Much River So Little Time...Get Out There