You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Bob Clark
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
25 Feb 2019 05:37 PM
Susan, looks like some people are trying to confuse you. All 3 machines are great for finding gold, the 800 will have the advantage if you also wish to hunt on the beach or parks. The best thing you can do is buy from a dealer who will give you training and perhaps your first nugget. In Arizona, you can't go wrong with Bill Southern, you can find him on youtube under nugget hunter, or just look for gold monster. He will train you on either the 800 or GM. For Whites take a trip to CA, and visit with Jim Mcculloch.
JIM MCCULLOCH
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
25 Feb 2019 10:34 PM
Susan, NO make or model of VLF gold detector, operating in a true all-metal mode, is well suitable for searching wet salt water beaches. The reason for this is that the wet salt is conductive, and thus the all-metal mode will react to it. If you want ONE detector for BOTH nugget hunting and beach hunting take a good look at the White's MX 7. It is an improved and digitalized version of the venerable MXT, which was perhaps the most popular "cross over" multi-purpose detector ever made. Retail price of the MX 7 is $599.95, and the [really awesome for small nuggets] MX 6" concentric coil retails for $149.95. Throw in the Bullseye TRX, at $159.95, and all these items can be yours for about $910.00. Just a thought.... HH Jimmy M
Joe Rollins
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
03 Mar 2019 12:02 AM
Very well said Jim!

As a kid I started with Dad's old military looking machine from maybe the late 60's, then eventually moved up to my own Whites Coinmaster circa 1975? (blue case) and have then later purchased the MXT, (DFX, GMT loaners) and now the new 24K, which I absolutely love, perhaps this is due to the broad manual tuning options on the White's 24K.

I have ALWAYS liked White's workflow, physical setup, the way they process data, and have always felt secure that I'm doing well for my skill and abilities.
One thing I have noticed is the that Minelab seems to have been on a long-term "consumer" binge to sell very bling machines that satisfy fanciful ideas and techno-marketing rather than really out-doing Whites or Garret.

Several months I also wanted a good multipurpose machine with above average gold prospecting capabilities. So I bought the Minelab Equinox 800 for my travel road trips and impromptu gold prospecting opportunities. It's decent, but for or an $850 detector the Nox it is NOT a favorite of mine for gold and seems to be a consumer bling machine with a horrible workflow and is perhaps not well suited for me. I should have stuck with the Whites and maybe get an MX7 or new MXT Pro.

I know others seem to love the Nox, it is evidently made by the gods and does everything is perfectly every-time-out, WOW! They often brag of finding unlimited gold microns over 100' deep, massive stash of ancient relics and prehistoric coins; they carry it to bed, tuck it in, kiss it good night.... Not me, I flung that sh** somewhere far out in the yard hoping the dog will eat it or it gets hit by lightening and blows up- no love lost here!!!!

I'm good with the Whites 24K, it's awesome, solid and accurate. I use it for my gold and general purpose park and field detector.

I should mention that I bought the Equinox 800 (and a GPX 5000 which I love) from Gerry McMullin* (a forum member mentioned above) and will be taking him up on the advanced user training this summer on the 5000. As many here know that Gerry is most honorable in the Metal Detecting community, he provides excellent sales and training and in the mean time has assured me the Equinox 800 would probably work better if I actually give it some love and learned to use it...errr, no way! :-/

* Look up Gerry on the forums or go to: http://www.gerrysdetectors.com/
Bob Clark
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
03 Mar 2019 07:06 AM
Joe, it looks like you are bashing a detector you never learned to use. I have both the nox 800 and whites 24k. I have only been out with the 24k 3 times now because of medical issues and have not found gold yet. but I would not bash it. You need to learn how to use the detector sometimes it takes awhile. The nox is more complicated than the 24k, and has settings that can be manually changed just like the whites. if I go to a park and look for coins, other people in the club find more coins than I do, because they move faster. But when I look for gold I usually watch these people, they look like they are late for work, where as I move slow and steady, perhaps this is why you are not finding any color.
A hint with the nox, dig all targets until you get the hang of it, then use the horse shoe button, if your number is a negative, it is saying there is a high probability it is iron. do not notch out any numbers as gold will register anywhere between 1 - 30 depending on size (well maybe not 30 unless you find a monster nugget) , sometimes it will not even give a number only a change in the threshold.
Joe Rollins
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
04 Mar 2019 05:39 PM
Thank you, I didn't mean to sound like bashing.
Mby plz go back and re-read my post.

I use gold mode or all metal for a lot of my work and pretty much dig everything, I don't move fast, nor do I skip a lot of "well, anything".
It's not the fields, or the fact I don't find "metallic things", it's the way the Nox works and processes data, this is what I don't like... it's like a toy. So, I just turn on gold mode or all metals and start.

I have a variety of soil types Central and Northern California, Tonopah, Nevada, Central Washington and will be doing some in Idaho and Oregon when the pass clears up.

To me the Nox simply feels inadequate and leaves me always wondering if I'm missing something... errr, I don't like that feeling and I don't get that from any Whites product I've ever owned, nor from other ML products. :-/

Like I said, there are those people that absolutely love and I'm glad for them, it's a great machine, for those that like it. It's well made and all three coils perform VERY WELL, however... I simply am not a fan boy of this thing and that erks a lot of people. Sorry. :-(

I've worked on embedded projects (autonomous navigation and flight management systems), managed software development and test projects (hated that!), managed software release and implementation programs (@ $7.5 billion) and honestly, for me, I don't think the Nox (or the GM 1000) is all that impressive for the price, nor is it more complicated than the Whites 24K.

The Nox has a horrible workflow- it is simply less well laid out, making EVERYTHING you do "seem" complicated and technically advanced, it's not... it's just fluff. That alone is cheap and frustrates me- it's not necessary, it's lazy and rushed development... trying to get something on the market fast before someone else does. That's why they fouled up the lower tube fitting and botched the final software release, then had to do to prompt updates after purchase! LOL

I'm NOT a pro detectorist and I don't use all the settings, there should be no need to keep "trying something new" just because I can fiddle around and make it beep different... I update my ground balance often and reset my machine if I think I have done something wrong and start again. I'm not screening only for micron gold dust, nor excluding finding a buried shovel only 6" deep that nearly melted my headset!

I'm 56 and mature enough to know that no detector or company is perfect, nor is the person using the product. I used a ML Sovereign GT on the beaches for years and always cleaned up after the spendy "beach" machines before someone (who just missed another nice ring) told me "you know the Sovereign is NOT for the beach- it's a park only machine and not made for these salty mineralized conditions". Wow, I didn't know that (as I put another $1200 ring in my pocket!).

Maybe I want the Nox 800 to be a digital version of the Sovereign GT/Eureka Gold it replaced, but it's not. Errr! ???
I think if the CTX 3030 or the VSi 3 were updated (to be properly waterproof , have a USB charge, software update-able, hackable and we can share settings...) they might be a better choice for me.

For the average consumer looking for a decent slightly advanced multipurpose machine with gold and all metal settings, the Nox 800 is a damned good unit with many great "out of the box" features and a growing list of options making this a very friendly all-in-one consumer level product.
Tad Hamilton
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
06 Mar 2019 01:30 AM
I have been using the gold monster for about a year now and it has become my go to detector and I own more than one. But the detector you use all the time is the one you feel comfortable the go out to outings I let people try mine out and show them how it works.
Joe Rollins
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
06 Mar 2019 02:57 PM
Tad, I fully agree Bill, aka "Nugget Shooter" out of Phoenix has been using both the Equinox 800 and the gold Monster 1000 since they came out.

And it looks like from all the videos his girlfriend has used at Gold Monster 1000 quite a bit and it's paid for itself and probably paid the bills on the house a few times, so there's nothing to laugh about on that machine, I guarantee it!
JIM MCCULLOCH
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
06 Mar 2019 07:10 PM
Thanks largely to Bill's excellent training, his girlfriend Tammy has indeed become a successful and enthusiastic Gold Monster 1000 user. To see the nuggets she has found with her 1000 in the first 5 months of being "Nugget Shooterette," check out her 9/6/2018 posting "Proud of My Finds" on the Nugget Shooter Forum. She has found several more since then. Sometimes she even beats 'ol Bill!
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12