KEENE MINI MAX
Last Post 14 Aug 2018 08:40 AM by Justin Woodall. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
25 Jan 2018 10:57 AM
    hello everybody... I'm currently looking into getting high banker (my first one), and am looking at and highly considering the Keene mini max.  I was just curious if anybody has one or has any experience with one.  what have you found to be the pros and cons? thank you for your time in advance and have a great day, happy prospecting!
    Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    25 Jan 2018 07:31 PM
    I have one. Only used it once so far in the field with mixed results I attribute to my unfamiliarity with the unit and where I was using it. I would recommend it. Definitely practice setting up and running it before heading out. I had a hard time adjusting the legs while using it as a sluice in the creek. Again because of my unfamiliarity with it. It's well built and fairly portable if hiking in..

Good luck,
    Ron
    Ron Macaire
    Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    08 Mar 2018 05:16 PM
    I bought one last year and used it all summer. Also had a buddy that bought one. We used it strictly as a high-banker. Didn't try it as a sluice box in the creek as I use a modified La Sluice for that. In general, I love it. It does take a little time to set up the legs and proper angle.

I packed mine up a pretty decent hill on my back, so weight mattered and mini-max was pretty light. In general, both my buddy and I thought that even though we could not move as much material as the bigger trommels, the mini-max seemed to be more efficient and caught more of the gold. Plus we could fit it in tighter places and didn't need as much water supply than bigger equipment.

Advantages:
    - Light
    - No gas motor
    - More efficient and I think catches more fine gold than bigger operations.
    - Clean up is nice using the pump to wash out the box.
    - Since it is so small, I could drop it right in the pit and work dirt right into it. The trommel guys had to dig their bucket loads and use 4-wheelers to haul their material up the hill to the trommel sites. Can't tell you how nice this was!

Disadvantages:
    - Can't move as much material as fast, but that is a given with the size of the intake and high banker.
    - If you use the portable battery chargers like they have on the Keene videos, you will need two to take you through an entire day. They take 12 hours to recharge, so hard to turn around for next day.
    - The grizzly is small, so you will have to constantly move material out with one hand while feeding material with other.
    - Cleanup was a little hard with the hard, green mat as it does not bend well. So hard to get it in a 5 gallon bucket. Maybe the black finish mat would be better to use.
    - You really need to classify your material down to 1/2" to get it to run through the top feeder area well. I think this area should be a little larger than it is.

Both my buddy and I had a problem with the top, black mat on the bottom sluice box buckling after running for a while. We were worried that gold was slipping under the mats. I figured this was because the metal mesh that holds this mat down did not come up far enough to hold the mat down, so I contacted Keene and they sent (free of charge) a longer piece of metal mesh. This fixed the problem.

Again, really like this high-banker!
    Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    14 Aug 2018 08:40 AM
    I have one and love it. I needed a more portable unit than what I had with my a52 conversation with the large hopper and also needed to run 12v. I run off a deep cycle marine battery. Id say its by far the best of the small highbankers and is capable of running a surprisingly large amount of material through it per hour, you just don't want to spike the box. I'm using a 3000 gph pump instead of the 2200 that came with it and it really seems to flow out better with no loss.
    Gold is were you find it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.