Phone GPS in the field
Last Post 29 Mar 2018 12:43 PM by Merle Mitchell. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Sluicer
Sluicer

--
28 Mar 2018 10:24 AM

A lot of people think you need Wi-Fi to use a cell phone GPS in the field.

That is not true if the app will download maps "GPS Waypoints Navigator" for android will do that.

In fact I recommend you turn off Wi-Fi and Data to conserve your Phone battery. If left on the phone keeps checking for a connection and will drain the battery in no time. I have a couple of old phones I keep around just for the GPS.

I have some 1000 plus waypoints on my phone. I mark and label everything when I am out prospecting and use the phone GPS to put me back on the exact same spot again. I mark the waypoint name with the bucket number from that spot and later put in a note what came out of that spot. I have a bush out in the desert I return to every time we have a flood. It always has a little something waiting for me.

The learning takes a little time to understand to use GPS waypoints navigator but it is well worth it.
    Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    29 Mar 2018 11:11 AM
    I tried the app. Had to get a refund. It wouldnt work on my LG V-20. A shame too. It looked like a good app!
    Sluicer
    Sluicer

--
    29 Mar 2018 12:29 PM

Wow, sorry I did not know that. I Just checked Verizon and they not longer sell the LG V-20. Thanks for telling me I was getting ready to buy new phones. I am using a LG VS985 now.

Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    29 Mar 2018 12:43 PM
    You would have to ask about the LG V30. Its an all glass phone now. That was the buy point for me to get the V20. I dont want an all glass phone. Lol
    You are not authorized to post a reply.