'Noble' elk hunt, but did find many old mines!
Last Post 22 Jun 2017 07:59 AM by Chris West. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
23 Apr 2017 08:22 AM

Whilst chasing elk I have found and GPS'd many old tailings piles and cabins. Thought I would take the ebike and put together an adventure. I have never used a metal detector so looking for some suggestions. I am leaning toward a Garrett ATX.

Is this light enough? What size coil package? Any other suggestions for metal detector? I like to keep it simple if possible. I think most of my shooting will be in loose tailings.

Thinking I might do some panning too. Might have to bring in a small plastic basin (water is kind of close), backpacker's sluice box, shovel. etc. Are there any framed packs that work well for this thing?

Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    18 Jun 2017 08:05 PM
    The ATX is not light at a whopping 7lbs, but it will the build the muscles on arm that you use it.I'm 63, with bad disks in my neck and use a harness (good for several hours)
    I was able to get a signal on a .15g piece without any problems. But for fine gold, I put .44g in a vile and it would not sound off, no idea as to why, except perhaps it likes solid objects.
    Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    22 Jun 2017 07:59 AM
    I have heard about the vile problem. Because of its popularity, weight and the small gold we have in NW MT, I ended up going with the Gold Bug 2 with a 6" coil. I am still in the 'learning curve', but have become an expert at finding hot rocks and nails.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.