Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ROBERT MARTINEZ
Panner
Panner

--
13 Jun 2020 11:02 AM
    I recently purchased a Whites GMT. It came with the 6"x9" Double D coil and a 8"x14" Sierra Gold Max coil. I took it out to the gpaa claims in the Morristown area. Towards the end of my testing and it was getting hot. I put the big coil on. I got up on this hill overlooking a wash and started detecting. I got this positive zip zip sound. I scraped the loose gravel with my boot and still got a good signal. I scraped down another 2-2 1/2" and found a .04 gram flake of lead. I wish now I had started with that coil. Just thought I would share that. I was set at 2.5 gain and around 2 on s.a.t. the ground was balanced around 60 if I remember right. The other coil balanced around 70-71. I had the double D coil set around 3-4 gain and 2 1/2-3 s.a.t. Later when I learn this detector I'll increase the gain.
    ROBERT MARTINEZ
    Panner
    Panner

--
    05 Jul 2020 04:36 PM
    So today I went out to Kings claim North of Morristown and tried out the 8" x 14" coil on my GMT. I can't believe how tiny the targets it can detect. I spent 7 hours detecting and found many junk targets. And in that 7 hours I didn't wander very far. It takes awhile to detect a section of ground. Lots of birdshot bits of wire mesh etc. As I was leaving I realized I didn't test the depth of the coil. Most of the targets I found were surface finds and a few around 3" deep. So I stopped on the south end of kings and buried a .7 gram piece of old lead about 3 plus inches down. I set the detector with a low threshold in my headphones and no sensitivity or sat. I could detect the target easily. I then dug up the target and buried it 6.5 inches down and passed the coil over the target again with no sensitivity. It was on the edge of detection. I turned the sat to 3 and the sensitivity to 5. It blasted loud in the headphones. I could have buried it lower but I felt comfortable that I wasn't missing targets when I had been detecting earlier. I just realized I never used the audio boost. I was really surprised that I could detect the target with no sensitivity. Hope this helps someone out there. Good luck detecting. ☺
    ROBERT MARTINEZ
    Panner
    Panner

--
    08 Aug 2020 01:33 PM
    So the other day I was testing a receiver/transmitter bluetooth thing I got off of Amazon on my GMT. I had a good set of Bluetooth ear buds already. The very first thing I noticed is that I was able to turn the threshold way lower than I could with my regular wired headphones. I was able to adjust the gain or sensitivity higher before I could hear instability sounds. I was able to hear my .04 gram test nugget loud. I read the directions that came with the detector and it touches on the headphone subject but really doesn't explain why they're important. Check out high ohm headphones with your detector to see which ones sound the best. My ear buds are also clear sounding and not muffled. I plan to wear shooting ear muffs to help with wind while using these. Hope this helps someone.
    ROBERT MARTINEZ
    Panner
    Panner

--
    25 Sep 2020 12:49 PM
    So when I used my Bluetooth ear buds I noticed that I could hear everything. I had to turn the volume down on the ear buds so a buried tin can didn't make me deaf. I then set up the detector to the just barely but audible threshold and ground balanced while my gain was around 5. I used the SAT to around 2.5 - 3. Hope this helps anyone.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.