You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MATTHEW EDWARDS
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
04 Dec 2018 03:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I wanted to see what the group might recommend for breaking up caliche prior to running it through a drywasher. I was hoping for some tips that would not require purchasing large/heavy/expensive equipment. I am mostly looking for methods that would be better suited for a hike in trip.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

05 Dec 2018 03:58 AM
    use a metal detector looking for the bigger piece and let the caliche gods have the rest
    ED GREANY
    Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    10 Jan 2019 07:03 PM
    Breaking up caliche? Waste of time. Pan the material on TOP of the caliche. The caliche acts like a concrete barrier preventing the gold from sinking farther down. Good luck.
    CRAIG CAMPBELL
    Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    22 Nov 2019 09:56 AM
    Hey Matt.I've got lumps of hard baseball size material that's real hard from bank wash that I chipped out with rotohammer cause I got a target with my gold bug..going to rent a cement mixer from home depot and put some rocks in it and see if it breaks it up...
    CHRISTOPHER SATKOWSKI
    Dredger
    Dredger

--
    25 Nov 2019 03:47 PM
    I've heard the cement mixer thing, never seen it tried. I ran caliche once by picking away at it until it was a dust. Took a long time. Ran it through the drywasher, found nothing, The old timers with some of the coyote hole diggings would tunnel into it and it must have paid to build those tunnels or they would have stopped.

With the cement mixer, I doubt a lot of material could be made that way and you'd have to be sitting at a ounce or more a ton to make it worth the run. 35 five gallon buckets to the ton. I think it would be s everal hour process to fill it up with a bucket or two and then spin it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.