Same Claim 2 Owners 2 Names?
Last Post 27 Jul 2018 02:46 PM by ARTHUR WAUGH. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
20 Jul 2018 02:48 PM

I was researching the Nancy's Gold claim today and I found something funny, the exact same 30 acre location is also 1/2 of a 60 acre claim called Holy Moly, both claims are listed as valid surface Placer claims with different owners. How is this possible? The most easy way to see it is on The Diggings site.  Click the map link to open a larger map with clear claim lines. Or am I missing something?

Here's "Nancy's Gold"  https://thediggings.com/mines/camc298571

Here's "Holy Moly" on the same spot. https://thediggings.com/mines/camc311091

“I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”
    Lost Dutchman
    Lost Dutchman

--
    20 Jul 2018 03:38 PM
    It's not uncommon to have more than one name, and in some cases several names.
    I believe one name = 30 acre claim, more names more acres if avalible
    2 names = 60 acres, half private, half they allow GPAA use
    Maybe thats why the boundary is very well defined at the bridge, at least it was the last time I was there
    Not having red the California book on claims, I'm speculating this
    There used/still are several claims above Nancy's gold, and good gold can be found in the river

Bill
    So much river....So little time....Get out there
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

--
    20 Jul 2018 03:55 PM
    I think you will find those are just two adjoining 30 acre claims that both people hold......BLM requires one person per 20 acres or portion thereof, up to eight people on a maximum 160 acre claim. As one person you can buy and hold more than a 20 acre claim for the first year, but after that you need the required number of people for the acreage.
    OHV/Recreation Representative, John Day/Snake Resource Advisory Council, BLM--- President, Wolfpack 4x4's, Region 5, Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association--- Member- Mid Valley Prospectors, Brownsville, OR chapter GPAA, Willamette Valley Miners, Bohemia Mine Owners Association
    Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    20 Jul 2018 04:08 PM
    I don't think so, they both have different camc numbers and different groups of owners but cover the exact same ground. Holy Moly is 60 acres so has 2 30 acre claims, 1 of them is exactly the same as Nancy's Gold. I know it's a technical question, but I'm working on figuring out how these claims work, looks like a BLM error or me not understanding something. I know over 20 acres needs more than 1 listed owner, that's not what I'm asking, both claims have muliple owners, Nancy's is the Massie family, Holy Moly is a whole different group.
    “I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”
    Lost Dutchman
    Lost Dutchman

--
    22 Jul 2018 11:42 AM
    Dennis,

Find yourself a copy of "Location and Validity of mining claims"
    and "Location and Patenting of mining claims and Mill sites in California"

Both can be found probably online at the Dept of Interior/BLM
    and of the State of California web sites

Some dry reading, but valuable information.

Bill
    So much river....So little time....Get out there
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

--
    27 Jul 2018 02:46 PM
    If the same ground, by T-R-S, something for the GPAA Claim's Director to look into. Might give Walter Eason a call or email on it.

BLM will happily take your money on overfiles, then tell you it is now a civil mater for the courts to settle. They won't get involved in it, even though they caused the issue by accepting a second filing on the same ground.
    OHV/Recreation Representative, John Day/Snake Resource Advisory Council, BLM--- President, Wolfpack 4x4's, Region 5, Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association--- Member- Mid Valley Prospectors, Brownsville, OR chapter GPAA, Willamette Valley Miners, Bohemia Mine Owners Association
    You are not authorized to post a reply.