As a Texan I am super cautious about snakes and thought I would be the last person to ever get bit, WRONG. Heading to my truck off the claim I heard a hiss but no rattle and felt a sting on my leg. I thought maybe a wasp or hornet had gotten in my jeans and stung me right above the boot level so I checked my jeans and there was nothing there so I continued to my truck and drove home. While driving I noticed my vision was as if I was looking through a fog, that and I felt terrible. So when I get home I pull out a chair to sit down and briefly brush my leg on the leg of the table and it felt like somebody shot me. At this point I can barely get my jeans off because my calf had swollen and I had a lime sized knot surrounded by bruising under the skin. My Doctor wrote me a script for a antibiotic but at this point the damage was done.
My wife went to get the script and I passed out in bed, the two puncture holes were clear as day so I had my wife take a marker and circle the knot and the bruising to see how the wound progressed. I stayed in bed for two days feeling terrible, but my entire leg continued to keep bruising. Finally I started feeling better and went back to the claim, BIG MISTAKE. I wake up and lower leg is virtually black so I went straight to the ER. They were shocked to say the least and the poison control Doctor was even geeking out over the bite and the pictures I allowed the ER Doctor to take.
I got bit by a baby, no rattle, and just big enough to hit me right above the boot. Anti-venom treatment was going to cost over $40K so I refused and since a week after the bite I was still alive I just went for Physical Therapy and continued antibiotics.
So, if you are in snake country wear your gaiters, it's the little snakes you are most likely to get bitten by because you wont see or hear them.