I am sorry if this has been asked or discussed already, i tried searching for this subject and did not find anything.
I have recently established a mining claim on Camp Creek in El Dorado County, California. It is a 40 acre claim which has about 2500 ft of river that runs through it. There is only one access to the claim currently which comes off a dirt forestry road. It looks as though the previous claim owner went to some lengths to try and camouflage the access by winding the tiny access road through trees which then leads to a beautiful campsite. The problem has been that the last two weekends i have gone up there i have found the campsite occupied. The campsite is the only established access to the claim at this time. I have gone to the trouble of posting a sign that lists my name, phone number, and email address with the request that if someone occupies the camp site they contact me to let me know that someone is there so i do not spend my time travelling up there only to find it occupied. Needless to say, the last two weekends i have not gotten a call, text or email and have traveled up there (an hour from my house) only to find it occupied. I am not a violent man however I'm not a pacifist in any way either. I have paid for the claim, i have improved it as required annually and I feel that i should have some expectation of being able to use it in order to extract the minerals.
I am looking for some feedback from this community on how to deal with this issue. I understand that the mining claim gives me access to the mineral rights however if the claim is unusable it does not make sense. Here are some specific questions for this group.
1) Can I unofficially control access to this area (drag logs on the path to keep anything less than a jeep with 33" and a 4" lift for making its way through), put cable on the path restricting access?
2) Can I work with BLM to officially control access
3) Can I burn a new road and establish a new camp site on the claim? ( however i would expect to have the exact same problems)
4) Is there some kind of etiquette I should be able to expect?
5) Is my expectation that people contact me when occupying the campsite unreasonable? (the excuse for not contacting me has been that there is no cell phone reception however my response was that there IS reception 4 miles away on the main road)
I thank everyone in advance for their responses and experiences.