Prospecting help needed in Arizona
Last Post 11 Feb 2018 07:30 AM by James Lenfers. 2 Replies.
Author Messages
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

--
20 Dec 2017 04:48 PM

Hi all,

My family and I are in the Phoenix area for just a few more days.  We went up to the Yahoos GPAA claim area all day today with no luck.  We have a Garrett AT Pro metal detector.  We've never prospected for gold in Arizona before.  We currently have 2 more days (December 21 and December 22) scheduled to prospect for gold - but we need help!  We just aren't sure where and how we should be looking.  Is there anyone in the area willing to either chat or give us a lesson on how this works?  

Thanks!

Buzzard
    Buzzard

--
    21 Dec 2017 03:16 PM

Check with the local chapters like Apache Junction, Scott 602 434-2843 or some of the other chapter in the Phoenix area.
    Scan the hillsides nuggets will be deep in a sand wash and detector may not be able to reach them. Look for areas along washes also where there is runs off the hill side. Check decontaminated quartz out crops and below. Others may have some better information for you.  
    If you notice an error in the Online Mining Guide or with claim information please add in the updated information into the online mining guide to inform other members. Thank You Walter H. Eason
    Greenhorn
    Greenhorn

--
    11 Feb 2018 07:30 AM

One of the most informative things I have found is Jeff Williams youtube videos.  The guy acts nuts to some, and just funny to others, but he seems to really know his geology and works the daylights out of that desert in most of the different ways.  I think the learning curve on the desert and knowing what to look for is even higher then stream placer prospecting.  I try to watch at least one of Jeff's videos a day and watch them over and over hoping some of his knowledge is going to sink in, especially on the geology and where its good to run metal detection, or dry washing, or vacuuming.  He has videos on about everything and the cumulative desert geology information is quite extensive.  

---